Sunnundalu recipe with sugar or Jaggery
Sunnundalu – Preparation
Sunnundalu is originally derived from the word ‘Sunni undalu’ which is a variety of a laddu popular in Andhra Pradesh, and mostly South India. It is usually made with urad dal, jaggery, cardamoms and ghee, and is made mostly during festive times. Sunnundalu are very healthy, rich in protein and fat which helps in strengthening the bones. It is also given to growing kids, pregnant women and people recovering from sickness.
Read below to understand the steps of making Sunnundalu –
The ingredients to make your tasty sunnundalu are :
1. 1 cup urad dal
2. ¾ cup jaggery (140 grams of jaggery, and not jaggery powder). You may use more if required.
3. 4 green cardamoms for taste
4. 5-6 tablespoons of ghee or more if required
1. Take a cup of Urad dal and make sure you wash it thoroughly ensuring there is no unnecessary residue left.
2. Make sure the urad dal is not soaked for long in the water. Once you take them out of water, spread them over a pan and dry them for around 10 minutes.
3. Once they are a little dry, make sure you roast them on a pan, continuously until they turn golden brown, crispy and aromatic. Note that they are not supposed to taste raw and sticky.
4. Once you get this texture, grind them into fine powder. You should feel it a little crunchy but not too coarse.
5. Now in this mixture, add 140 grams of jaggery and grind them all together
6. Take half a cup of ghee and heat it on the pan. There should absolutely be no water content present in it, else the laddu will not stick together easily.
7. Now keep adding ghee to the mixture of urad dal until required, and mix well.
8. Make small round balls with the mixture, based on the size you wish to have.
9. Place all of them on a plate and let them dry, for all the ingredients to be intact.
10. Once cooled down, delicious sunnundalu are for you to enjoy!
11. For storage, keep them in an air-tight container, and store them in the fridge.
We hope the sunnundalu you make taste great, and you have a great time eating them.